Monday, May 24, 2010

String ABCDE -one end fixed -w1 and w2 at B and C.passes around smooth peg at D (tension,w1,w2)?

D carries a weight of 400N at E

String ABCDE -one end fixed -w1 and w2 at B and C.passes around smooth peg at D (tension,w1,w2)?
I need either a picture of the layout or a better description of where A is anchored in relation to the pin at D. Are they at the same height? Are they aligned vertically? Is there some angle involved? Please elaborate so that I can help you.





NEW:


Thanks for the additional information. But even with that info I cannot get a valid solution for the weights at B and C. Either I am not understanding your description of the problem or there is a problem in the question itself.





But I can tell you that the tension in the rope is constant at 400N at all points. If it were not constant at all points along the rope then that force imbalance would cause the string to accelerate in the direction of the larger force, and this problem is a statics problem.





Sorry I couldn't give you an answer to all parts of the question. If you have any other details to add feel free to do so, because this problem is frustrating me. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment